A little more than a year after the colonies declared their independence from Great Britain, redcoats prepared to take Philadelphia and occupy the new seat of American democracy.
In September 1777, American cavalry led by Col. Thomas Polk removed the Liberty Bell from Philadelphia and began moving it north for safekeeping in Allentown. Along the way, they stopped to rest in Quakertown and hid the bell in a cart behind a stone house owned by Evan Foulke. A local tavern owner cared for the horses and soldiers during their bivouac in Quakertown. They left the next day for Allentown. It took them about a week to deliver the Liberty Bell to Zion Reformed Church, where it was kept until the end of the war.
Liberty Hall, as it’s known today, still stands at Broad and Market streets. Owned by the Quakertown Historical Society, it’s considered Quakertown’s oldest house.
Here’s a Purely PA! huzzah to Col. Polk and his men for helping save one of our nation’s most recognizable symbols of freedom. (Photo of Quakertown’s Liberty Hall is courtesy of Upper Bucks Chamber of Commerce)