As part of our ongoing You Ask, We Answer campaign, we’re answering questions we frequently receive from customers. Today’s question has to do with requirements to start service.
Why does PPL require a security deposit to start service? Can I have it waived?
We may require a security deposit based on a credit check and your internal credit history with PPL. You may also be required to have a security deposit if you have limited or no credit history, or did not provide us with a Social Security number.
Residential customers can have a security deposit waived in one of three ways:
- Provide a credit reference letter from another utility.
- Apply for a low-income based waiver.
- Provide a notarized third-party guarantor form. This is included in the packet of information we provide about our requirements to start service.
Commercial customers can have the security deposit waived in one of two ways:
- Enroll in automatic bill payment.
- Provide an irrevocable letter of credit from their bank.
To see prior You Ask, We Answer posts, click here.