Winter Storm Stella has arrived in our service territory and made travel treacherous. We want our customers and the public to remain safe.
Please follow the advice of emergency officials regarding travel. If you must be on the road, and find yourself stopped or stalled:
- Stay with your car and don’t overexert yourself.
- Put bright markers on the antenna or windows and keep the interior dome light turned on.
- To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, don’t run your car for long periods of time with the windows up or in an enclosed space.
- If you must run your vehicle, clear the exhaust pipe of any snow and run it just long enough to stay warm.
Take care when shoveling or blowing snow not to overexert yourself. Some snow blower safety tips:
- Never use your hands or feet to clear out a clogged snow blower. Use a stick or similar object. Turn off the engine before clearing a clog.
- Wear shoes or boots with good traction and work carefully on slopes.
- Start and run gas-powered snow blowers outside.
If a power line comes down in your area, please report it promptly to 1-800-DIAL-PPL. Stay well clear of it and keep others away as well. Always assume a downed line is energized.
If you use a generator, run it well outside your home or business. Never operate it in enclosed spaces, like garages.
Our storm control rooms are open and we are ready to respond to power outages that may arise from this storm. In addition to our hundreds of line workers, electricians and other skilled technicians, we also have more than 200 line workers on our system from Kentucky and South Carolina. (The picture at right shows trucks from Kentucky Utilities.)
We understand that being without power is a significant problem in cold weather and we are committed to working around the clock, as quickly and safely as possible, to restore all customers who may lose service as a result of the storm.
If you lose power, please report it at our Outage Center or at 1-800-DIAL-PPL. Information on outages will also be posted on the Outage Center as it becomes available. Please note that estimated restoration times may not be available for some outages until crews have had a chance to assess the damage.