This Earth Day, make energy efficiency a priority
Earth Day is a great opportunity to take small, easy steps to make your home more energy efficient so you can save money year-round.
Plus, by becoming more energy efficient, you can make a real impact on the world. Efficiency is good for the planet. It reduces greenhouse gas emissions, decreases water use, and helps create a healthy environment for us all.*
Here are ten easy tips to help you spring into action today.
- Plant trees and shrubs to provide shade on the sunniest sides of your home.
- Allow hot foods to cool before putting them in the refrigerator – storing hot food makes your fridge work harder to cool it down.
- With the weather warming up, consider cooking a few meals outside to reduce the amount of heat inside your home.
- Use light-colored window coverings to help reflect heat away from entering your home.
- Use motion sensors for your outdoor lights. That way, they’ll only use energy when they’re on.
- Install LED light bulbs in your most frequently used lights – kitchens and bathrooms are a great place to start.
- Combine printers, computers, monitors, TVs, game consoles and other electronics on easily accessible smart power strips that can be switched off when not in use.
- Add weather stripping to drafty doors and windows.
- Combine fans with air conditioning – a fan can allow you to raise the thermostat setting and still stay comfortable.
- Wash and rinse laundry with cold water whenever possible.
For more tips — and to check out our full offering of energy efficiency rebates and programs — visit savewithppl.com.