Stay warm and stay safe
Winter is prime season for space heaters. While space heaters can keep you comfortable, they can also be dangerous.
When you’re using an electric space heater to warm up your home, office, or business, follow these tips to stay safe:
- Only buy newer models with current safety features.
- Make sure the product has an Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label.
- Position the heater on a level surface away from foot traffic.
- Always keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- Plug all electric space heaters directly into wall outlets.
- Avoid using extension cords with space heaters. If you need to use an extension cord, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Buy a space heater with a tip-over safety switch.
Source: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission