If you received a power tool over the holidays, please use it the right way. Following these great guidelines from the Electrical Safety Foundation International will help you complete your projects the best way — the safe way.
- Use ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) with every power tool to protect against electric shocks.
- When working with electricity, use tools with insulated grips to avoid shocks.
- Always plug power tools into a grounded outlet, unless the tools are double-insulated.
- Never use power tools near power lines or water pipes.
- If a power tool trips a safety device like a GFCI outlet, take the tool to a repair center authorized by the manufacturer.
- Don’t use power tools without the proper guards.
- Don’t use power tools with an extension cord longer than 100 feet.
- Always use appropriate personal protective gear
- Use extreme caution when cutting or drilling into walls with electrical wires or water pipes.