Portable generators can bring you power when storms knock out electricity. But they also can bring heartache if used incorrectly.

Nearly 80 percent of the more than 900 carbon monoxide deaths between 1992 and 2012 were associated with generators. Half of generator-associated carbon monoxide deaths happen between November and February.

If you have a portable electric generator, make sure it’s installed and used correctly. Never operate a generator indoors or in any other enclosed or partially enclosed space, including your garage.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends generators be located at least 20 feet from windows, doors or vents to prevent deadly CO from getting into your home. Of course, CO alarms inside your home also are a smart idea.