Most of us don’t like to think that we could be affected by something like a house fire or a flood, but the numbers say otherwise. According to the Department of Homeland Security, floods are the most common natural disaster in the U.S.
Electricity and water can be a dangerous combination.
Here are a few tips to keep yourself and your family safe when flood waters rise.
- Never use electric appliances or touch electric wires, switches or fuses when you’re wet or standing in water.
- Stay clear of electrical equipment in rooms with flooding.
- If you have to stand in water to turn off power at the breaker box, don’t do it! Call us at 1-800-342-5775 and we’ll shut off power at the meter.
- Keep electric tools and equipment at least 10 feet away from wet surfaces.
- Don’t use electric yard tools if it’s raining or the ground is wet.